Thursday, November 19, 2009

The End of an Era

Today, our family has witnessed the end of an era.

Today, our youngest child turned three.

My "baby" is no longer a baby - or even a toddler, for that matter. Forever gone are the magical days of babyhood, of daily discoveries and important milestones marked. Because now we are embarking on the journey of becoming a preschooler and all that the stage entails.

Part of me is extremely sad to see Mathison reach this age. After all, there is a certain finality to it this time around as we will never again have a baby in our home. Part of me is also relieved to be moving towards increased independance and the resulting time I'll have to myself again.

Mathison seems like he's growing up even faster because he started to attend the district preschool a week ago for some social and emotional delays. Here are some pictures of his first day:Waiting for the bus. The backpack is almost as big as he is!

On the bus for the first time;Mathison wasn't quite sure what to think.

Here are some of Mathison's 3 year old stats:

Height: 37 inches (30%)
Weight: 30.5 lbs (30%)
Head: HUGE (98%)

I think back to the many years when we knew our family was incomplete, and the incredible joy we felt when I discovered that I was finally pregnant again. It took many prayers, tears, and a lot of time to finally get our little guy, and we wouldn't trade him for the world. Mathison brings so much joy, excitement, laughter and love into our home; I can't imagine what our family would be like without him.


Happy Birthday, Mathison. We love you so much and are very proud of the "big boy" you are becoming!

4 comments:

Seth and Emry Gubler said...

They grow up too fast!

The Andra Family said...

The picture on the bus is touching. Sorry we missed calling him. We'll drop a present off at mom's while he's here this weekend.

Photo Crazy! said...

Happy Birthday sweet boy! I am feeling the same way. I can't believe how time flies! Wow! I am kind of in shock that our babies are so old. We can call them the big-headed beauties. Jenna's noggin is also HUGE!

The Jones Fam said...

I can't believe he gets to ride the bus to preschool! What a big boy! He is definately a special addition to your family :)