Thursday, January 31, 2008

Knights and Shadows


This has been a very busy week for Jefferson. First, we decided to have a late birthday party on Tuesday because Del and I were at Miss America last week on his actual birthday. Jefferson had been pushing for a medieval themed party, and I have to admit that I wasn't very excited about the idea; I was afraid that some of the boys might find it juvenile and tried to explain that to my son in a gentle way. But no, he was adamant - Jefferson had his mind set on a medieval birthday party complete with a "tournament of kings" (Jefferson never does anything halfway). So I swallowed my misgivings and we had a medieval birthday party........and it was GREAT! There were nine boys between the ages of 10-12 at our house for two hours. We began by letting each boy design his own flag, then Jefferson brought out the dressups and the kids had a fun time choosing clothes that represented their "country". The tournament consisted of an archery contest, a castle seige, sword fights, and jousting. I'm so glad I let Jefferson talk me into doing it - the kids seemed to really have a great time. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of the party to post - our camara is currently on the blink :(
This week was also the final week of "Shadowlands", a CEU theater production that Jefferson was cast in. Tuesday was the final night; I was very excited to watch the play as I had missed the entire first week of production because of our time at Miss America. "Shadowlands" is a beautifully written play that chronicles a three year period in the life of author and theologian C.S. Lewis (of Narnia fame) where he falls in love with an American divorcee who ends up dying of cancer. Jefferson was cast as Douglas, the woman's son. This was quite a different role from what Jefferson is used to playing - his preference is either musicals or comedies. Wow, did he rise to the occasion! In the pentultimate scene, Douglas is talking to C.S. Lewis and finally confronts his feelings about his mother's death. By the end of this touching scene, Jefferson was sobbing - along with all of the audience. I wanted to stand up and yell, "That's my son up there - isn't he great!" I settled for clapping instead :)

5 comments:

The Andra Family said...

I'm glad to hear that the birthday party was a success. I have no doubt that Jefferson was very passionate in the part that he played in the production. GO JEFFERSON!

Shawnee and Tyson said...

That is so cute!! I'm glad it all worked out for Jefferson and his friends! I hope you guys had fun at the Miss America Pageant!! Mathison was SO sweet!! I loved every minute of him (well, mostly every minute :) When I came back up to Cedar City, I was being kind of quiet and deep in thought....Tyson asked me what was wrong, and I responded, "I miss Mathison....." Ha Ha, I'm a dork I know! Love you guys!

The Jones Fam said...

It sounds like it was a great party! That's awesome that he basically planned the whole thing himself! I wish I could have seen the play, he's a very talented young man :)

The Perkins said...

The medieval party sounds like it was so fun!

Hope you had a great birthday Jefferson!

McKay Missy and Boys said...

That's great that his party turned out to be a success. I seldom look forward to hosting birthday parties. They never seem to turn out as planned.

I have no doubt that Jefferson was outstanding in his play. It would be hard not to shout out some sort of encouragement or show of pride.