Sunday, January 20, 2008

D.A.R.E.ing to Speak Up

This incident was related to DEl by one of the college students involved. The student thought it was pretty cute.

Jefferson was recently cast in the play "Shadowlands" at CEU, set to open this week. He's had a pretty intense rehearsal schedule, giving him the chance to get to know the other cast members fairly well. Jefferson's really enjoyed his association with the college kids - except for one thing. Most of them smoke, and it really bothers him when they go outside during a break and light up. When he asked me about it, I told them that they are old enough to make that decision for themselves and reminded him that as members of the LDS faith, we are asked not to smoke. Jefferson said that some of the actors weren't LDS and wondered why they would smoke when it is so bad for your health. I replied that some people start smoking to lose weight, or to relax, or to look cool, but end up getting addicted and find it difficult to stop. That ended his questions, but I could tell he was still upset.

Apparently, things came to a head on Thursday because when it was break time and the guys were headed out for their smoke, Jefferson followed them out into the hall. Gathering his courage, he blurted,

"I really wish you guys wouldn't smoke because it's really bad for you and it's the wrong thing to do." He paused, then added, "I felt I had to say something because I'm a member of D.A.R.E. at school."

Yes, the college kids found it cute, but I was so proud of Jefferson when I heard that story! It must have been hard for him to approach those older students whom he idolized and risk offending them, yet he had the courage to stand up and speak out for what he believed in. I can think of times when I have failed to speak up for fear of criticism; next time when the opportunity arises, I am going to follow my son's example and "dare" to be heard.

4 comments:

Denise said...

I think children are always our best examples of doing the right thing. They so often have the courage that we lack.

Please tell Jefferson that we are really proud of him!

McKay Missy and Boys said...

I love how he ended his comment with needing to speak up because he was a member of D.A.R.E. Way to go Jefferson. What a brave kid!

The Andra Family said...

I'll bet that one comment will make a difference in one of their lives at some point. That is so awesome and brave of him!

The Jones Fam said...

I'm sure the DARE program would be very proud of him! I'm sure you and DEl are also proud that you are doing such a good job raising and teaching your children.