Monday, January 28, 2008

Did the Miss America Program's "Facelift" Succeed?

As many of you know, I spent the 2nd half of last week in Las Vegas watching the Miss America Pageant. I had a very relaxing time and was glad I could be there to support Jill Stevens, the current Miss Utah. She is a wonderful young woman who has been a great role model for the youth in our state. On the final night, Jill ended up as one of the top 16 finalists by winning "America's Choice", which made it an exciting night for those of us gathered to watch her.

Although I understand and respect the Miss America Organization's need and desire for change, I was greatly disappointed in the overall result of their efforts. What was once a classy production seemed amateurish, tasteless, and downright trashy in some aspects. Especially disturbing was the swimsuit portion of the competition. The combination of the "barely there" suits the organization encouraged the girls to wear, coupled with the grinding music and provocative poses most of the girls chose to use made me feel like I was watching a Victoria Secret's lingerie show, not a scholarship pageant. I also thought that the way they eliminated the girls was negative and humiliating, especially during the talent section. All of those girls deserved to perform their talent, especially Iowa - who actually won the overall talent and received a standing ovation from the audience on her preliminary talent night. I couldn't help but think that if this is the new direction the Miss America Pageant is taking, I hope that Krissia never chooses to participate. And this is coming from someone who once competed in and has heavily promoted this pageant system!

Don't get me wrong - there were some positive things I liked. It was fun having all the contestants on stage the entire time, and I know the girls appreciated the chance to cheer on their friends and feel like they were still part of the pageant even though they weren't finalists. The introduction in jeans helped the girls seem more casual and "real", and I felt that many of the girls' introductions allowed us to glimpse their true personalities. I love that the organization is pushing the "real and genuine" approach instead of "fake and rehearsed", although I feel the judges missed the boat as this year's winner and many of the finalists seemed like the typical pageant type.

However, I feel that many of the changes cheapened what once was a celebration of the intelligent, talented, well-rounded woman. I am going to make my feelings known to the Miss America Organization, and I encourage you to do the same if you experienced the same disappointment I have. Let's encourage this wonderful program to retain the class and respect it's always had amid the attempts to update and modernize its image.


6 comments:

Denise said...

I could not agree with you more!

We watched the pageant and were SO disappointed. Everything seemed so cheap and cheesy, and yes, humiliating. To have the girls dressed up and ready to perform their talents, and then to eliminate them right before was AWFUL!

But the worst part for me, was watching the girls get emlinated after the swinsuit round! I mean, the judges cut the girls based simply on how they looked in their swimsuits...fitness competition, YEAH RIGHT!

You can't tell me Jill wasn't penalized for wearing a one piece...and they can say that the fitness portion doesn't count as much as the interview or the talent, but for those first girls eliminated, the fitness portion ACTUALLY counted for 100% of their criteria.

There was SO MUCH wrong with it...and I am with you...if this is the new direction, we will NOT be encouraging our girls to participate!

Sorry for the rant, I was just so upset after watching!

On a much lighter note...I'm glad you had fun.

The Valentine Fam said...

Ditto to you and Denise...Exactly what we thought while watching it.

I thought the way they eliminated the girls after the swimsuit was horrible. Instead of celebrating with the ones who were moving on, they just put an exclamation point on the ones who were eliminated...sorry you lose!

I wanted to cry for the two who didn't get to perform their talent. Extremely tacky!

I also disliked how they did the question section. I thought it was weird how they had to raise their hand. What was with all the questions about celebrity people. Current issues would have been more appropriate. I thought they were looking for an all-american girl, not some who was up-to-date on celebrity gossip and mishaps!

What I found the most tacky of all was the way they announced the winner. Lets announce the 4 runner-ups and then leave the other 4 standing there...one a winner...the other 3...nothing! Didn't make sense to me.

Things I liked...

America's choice

the jeans.

the contestants getting to stay on stage and enjoy it.

the parents on stage.

That's all!

The Andra Family said...

All in all, I thought it was disappointing and humiliating. Unfortunately, I thought right away that Jill didn't stand a chance; Conservative with values up against modern and contemporary.

The Perkins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Perkins said...

DITTO DITTO DITTO to all of this! I really could not have said it any better! That is why I just posted a link to your blog on my blog about the pageant to tell what was disliked...I hope you don't mind. If you do just let me know!

I had such a fun time though, thanks so much for letting us stay with you!! Tell Krissia good luck this weekend from me :)

Tara said...

I agree with all the comments made as well. We were so excited to watch the pageant with all of its changes and then really disappointed with the whole thing. I was glad that Jill was on for at least part of it though. I liked the America's Choice and hated the eliminations, especially during talent. I did enjoy the reality show, although I thought that it really only showed you about ten girls through the whole thing, and you only saw what they wanted you to see.