Sunday, January 10, 2010

Reversal of Roles



The Christmas break was hard on Mathison. He thrives on structure and routine, and the disorganization of those weeks took its toll. The week of New Year's was particularly hard, and by the time Saturday rolled around I'd had ENOUGH.

We had been potty training (which is probably another reason why those weeks were so rough) and I was in the bathroom with Mathison, who was throwing a big fit about getting on the toilet. I must have made an exasperated sound, because he looked at me and asked,"What's wrong, Mom?"

Suddenly, everything came pouring out. "I don't like it when you scream and yell and don't want to sit on the toilet. I don't like it when you tell me no all the time. I don't like it when you try to hit me or the kids. I don't like it when you are always whining about everything. Mommy doesn't like the way you've been acting lately; it's made me feel really mad!"

Mathsion looked at me calmly, then extended his hand and softly stroked my cheek.

"I'm sorry you're angry with me, Mommy, but I still love you," he replied.

My anger immediately dissolved. Talk about feeling humble; here was my three-year-old showing me the appropriate way to respond in this situation. I gave him big hug and privately resolved then and there to show more patience and love - no matter how exasperated I am feeling.

What a great lesson to learn; what a tender moment to be taught by my son's example.

4 comments:

The Andra Family said...

Wow! What a response from your 3 year old. That would definitely pull at your heart strings.

McKay Missy and Boys said...

That is so sweet. I love those moments when our children teach us. Good luck with potty training.

As for the resuable gingerbread house, it is made of wood, so when Christmas is over I just soak it in hot water and the icing and candy wash right off. If you'd like I can ask for instructions on how she made it.

Shawnee and Tyson said...

That is so sweet!! What a cute little guy :)
-Shawnee

Photo Crazy! said...

So sweet! Jenna does things like that right now. It melts my heart!