Friday, January 29, 2010

My Night at Miss America

The Miss America Pageant has been going on this week, and one of the benefits of having the competition in Las Vegas is that it's so conveniently close by. Although it made for a late night, I was able to accompany DEl and two of our friends to the last night of preliminaries held yesterday at Planet Hollywood.

After a deliciously yummy dinner at The Cheesecake Factory, we attended the pageant to cheer for Miss Utah and Miss Nevada. Although both young women are beautiful and intelligent, the competition is really tough this year; we'd like for each of them to break into the top 15, but we'll just have to wait and see. A few of the contestants who impressed me were Miss New York, Miss Virginia, and Miss California. I believe each of them have a good chance of making it into the top 10.

I was still disappointed this year with the swimsuit portion of the competition; I believe that the skimpy suits and sexy poses are in direct opposition to the pageant's claim to be a scholarship competition. I know the company is trying to boost ratings and win over some of the USA crowd, but I feel this is taking away from the basic elegance and integrity of the program.

I won't be traveling to Vegas tomorrow for the final night; I'll be watching things on TV with the rest of you. DEl is headed down again, but I've made him promise not to text me anything in case the broadcast I see is not live. I'd hate for him to spoil the surprise :)

2 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

Looks like fun! I am going to try and go next year since I live here and all....It would be fun for all the gubler gals to go together!

Matt, Kim, Barrick and Jakey Boy! said...

Kim-It looks like you could still compete against those girls.