Thursday, October 1, 2009

I Can't Believe I Did That!

One of the blogs I read regularly features a segment called "Not Me! Monday" where readers can share some of the "oops" moments they have had throughout the week. I read a few of the funny stories on Monday, thinking it had been some time since I had done anything stupid or acted like an airhead.

Little did I know that my turn to do something embarrassing was just around the corner.

I was in Wal-Mart, picking up some last-minute items before our trip. I was in the middle of the food section when I realized we needed some more string cheese (one of Mathison's favorite foods). I backtracked a few aisles, parked the cart, and grabbed several of the sticks before returning to my shopping. I had probably put another 3 or 4 items in the basket before realizing that I was pushing around somebody else's cart. I had totally grabbed the wrong cart after getting the cheese sticks and didn't even notice it for a good 7-10 minutes!

As I made my way back to the cheese section, I wondered if my cart would still be there. I wondered if my purse - and especially, WALLET - would be there. I wondered what the other shopper had done when they discovered their cart was missing.

To my relief, my cart was sitting right where I'd parked it - with my purse and wallet still inside. I'd begun transferring my items from the "stolen" cart to my cart when an older gentlemen approached and silently began to help me; apparently, it was his cart I'd just returned. I gave an embarrassed laugh and tried to make light of the situation by saying, "I just accidentally took your cart for a little joyride."

He did NOT think it was funny. Without saying one word or acknowledging me in any way, he grabbed his cart and headed in the other direction as fast as he could.

Maybe he thought I had taken his cart on purpose.

What makes this situation even more embarrassing is that fact that when I first walked up to the string cheese bin, I saw his cart (minus the shopper) next to it and thought that I really needed to be careful or I could end up grabbing the wrong cart by mistake when I was finished with the cheese.

Aaargh!

5 comments:

Photo Crazy! said...

Kim! I love it! Thanks for the great laugh. I thought things like this never happend to you. If I wrote about me it would be a novel a week! I man was too funny!

Denise said...

lol! ohmygosh Kim. I can't help but laugh!

Nathan, Mariann &Talon said...

Oh man thats funny! Thanks for the laugh. :)

Matt, Kim, Barrick and Jakey Boy! said...

That sounds like it would be a great social experiment to see how differently people react.

The Jones Fam said...

Good story :) I can't believe the old man didn't say anything, you think he would have laughed with you!