Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Little Less Dora



Dora the Explorer has recently become one of Mathison's favorite shows to watch, and often the refrains of "Vaminos!" and "Swiper, no swiping!" can be heard echoing from the family room. While I don't let my toddler watch Dora all day long, I have been letting him watch an episode or two each day if he wants. After all, the episodes have examples of problem solving and often highlight numbers, shapes or letters. There is also the mixing of English and Spanish, which might spark an interest in my child to become bilingual at a later point.

However, the are some other things that Mathison is picking up from this show that are unexpected and......well, a little embarrassing.

We were recently at Wal-Mart and I was having some difficulty with the wheels of the shopping cart getting stuck. Mathison looked at me and said, "I know what can help us - let's use our sparkle power!"

Ooooookay. Other boys are talking about trucks and sports, and here is my son excited over "sparkle power".

I wasn't too concerned until another incident happened when we returned to Wal-Mart a few days later. I was searching through clearance items, and Mathison was having a great time hiding among the clothing racks. Suddenly, I heard his little voice calling, "Mom, look at me!" I glanced over and saw that he'd draped a blouse over the sides of his head. Mathison turned his face from side to side and exclaimed, "Look - I'm a pretty princess!"

That did it.

From now on we are watching a little less Dora.

And a little more Diego.

3 comments:

Photo Crazy! said...

Oh no! That is to funny! Jenna is a HUGE Dora fan and I didn't think how it would effect boys.

The Andra Family said...

You may want to keep him away from Cole if you're trying to break a habit. He loves and wears my high heels, make-up, and clothing.

The Jones Fam said...

Jett likes being pretty too, he's always wearing Jaylee's hairbows and shoes. Maybe I should start pushing Diego and stop letting him watch Jaylee's barbie movies!