Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Hope They Call Me on a Mission

The MTC acquired two new missionaries yesterday - Kerry and Patricia Gubler, my parents. They have been called to a CES (Church Educational System) mission and will be serving in Chinle, AZ, on the Navajo Reservation.
This has all happened rather suddenly; my mom had privately mentioned to me in January that she and my father were thinking about going on a mission, and now a mere two months later, they're gone. Our family is so happy for them; this has been a life-long goal for my parents, and we know they'll be wonderful missionaries. We also appreciate the example they are setting for their family - especially the grandchildren.
And yet, I'm a little saddened to think that I won't be seeing them very often in the next 12-18 months. I'm going to miss my mother's delicious Sunday dinners, the big Gubler game nights we've had at their house, and savoring the homemade ice cream my dad served up every General Conference. I feel a little cheated that my kids won't have the opportunity to spend time with their terrific grandparents for awhile; especially Mathison, who will probably forget them due to his young age. I know I'm sounding selfish - but without them, it just won't be the same when we visit family in Hurricane.
However life goes on, time passes, and my parents will be home before we know it. I'm sure that our family will be blessed because of the willing sacrifice of their time and service as full-time missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. But in the meantime......I'm sure going to miss them.
Good Luck, and goodbye Mom and Dad! We love you!!!

1 comment:

The Andra Family said...

Very cute pictures, something we meant to have done but forgot. You'll just have to spend extra time with my family when you come down now.