Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Days of Knights

Jefferson and his friend Mark have planned several creative events together the past few months such as making their own movie and bringing together several friends for some "military maneuvers" in a wash nearby our house. Their latest adventure was organizing a "Clash of Kings".

The boys' original idea was to set up a week-long medieval camp and charge money for it....I talked them into making it two afternoons only and just inviting their friends to participate at no cost :) It was a big hit! The friends met at the CEU football field on the first day to make their cardboard armor:


They had such a great time doing it! After the creation of their outfits, they had to pose for a picture:

On the second day, the "Clash of Kings" took place. The boys had some skirmishes with each other:


The culmination of the event was an epic battle against the evil warlord...aka Bronson. He was such a good sport about it; his only stipulation was that the kids had to make his armor for him. That, and absolutely NO pictures taken of him!

As Jefferson was planning this event, the thought occurred to me that this was totally something DEl would have done as a child. When I mentioned that to my husband, he laughed and said that he'd organized a neighborhood circus when he was around Jefferson's age. Like father, like son :)

3 comments:

The Andra Family said...

What a creative kid! Just the thought of all the work it would take would discourage me from doing it. So nice that you have the type of weather the kids can play outside during the summer up there.

The Jones Fam said...

Too bad you wouldn't let him charge any money, I wonder how much he would have made..... What a good big brother Bronson is! I am sad though that one of his stipulations was no pictures :(

Troy said...

Bronson is a good sport for agreeing to be the evil Warlord -- I don't know that I would have been willing to do it at his age. It's too bad, Kim, that they didn't ask you to be the damsel in distress!

I do remember the Carnival DEl organized when I was a child; it was a lot of fun...And, if I recall correctly, he made quite a bit of money from all of the neighborhood children. I guess the creative/entrepreneurial spirit runs in the family!