Thursday, April 3, 2008

Why I Became a Mother

I was sorting laundry in my bedroom the other day when Jefferson wandered in with a rather pensive look on his face. I could tell he wanted to say something, but I was totally unprepared for what was coming.

"So, did you know you wanted to be a mom since you were a little girl?" he asked.

"Yes," I replied, "I've always wanted to become a mother." I waited a few moments before adding, "Why do you ask? Can you tell I enjoy being a mom?"

"Well, yeah," he answered, then continued, "I know it's hard sometimes, but it sure must be worth it." I couldn't wait to hear what he would say next, which part of my mothering skills he would pinpoint as being special to me. Would it be the time I spent playing with my children? Or the gospel principles he'd learned from me and his father?

My bubble burst when he answered,"Yeah, because then you get to boss your kids around, make them do your work for you, and tell them what to do all the time. I can't wait; it must be pretty sweet!"

Oh great - I'll be remembered as the controlling, bossy mother who enjoyed every minute the kids slaved away for me.

6 comments:

Denise said...

LOL. I know that he will remember lots of other things too!

But, at the same time, it is nice to be the boss!

Shawnee and Tyson said...

Ha ha hahaha that is classic! I guess to most kids it may come across that way, but we all grow out of the "All my mom does is boss me around" stage eventually :)

The Jones Fam said...

I'm sure he only said this because as an 11 year old, that would be the most appealing part to him. I think it's great how much time you spend with your children teaching them. It has really made a noticeable difference

The Andra Family said...

Yeah, I'd have to agree with Jefferson. Those traits also come when you're a big sister.

The Perkins said...

What a funny conversation. You are such a great mom! It is evident because he obviously feels comfortable talking to you.

Boo said...

Hey Kim! Becka (Humphries) Ott here. I sometimes stalk your blog, but today I had to comment on this one because my almost 8 year old son said something like this to me the other day. - well, he said,"I bet you like being a mom because you get to yell at people." And I thought the same thing- That's not how I want to be remembered- I don't even yell that much anymore- hee hee!