Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Brother, My Friend

Sometimes I worry about the huge span of years between Mathison and our other children and whether or not he'll feel close to them as he grows older.

All of the kids are great with him. However, Mathison's relationship with Bronson and Krissia is definitely a vertical one (caretaker and dependant) rather than horizontal (equals). While this is nice for babysitting, it doesn't fill Mathison's desire to have a "friend" in the house.

That's where Jefferson comes in. I don't know whether it's because Jefferson's still young enough to still do some "true" playing, or if it's his personality, or both - but Mathison has definitely pegged him as his buddy. It's so cute to see Mathison follow his brother around, picking up and waving around one of the toys Jefferson is playing with and thinking he is part of the "game". And Jefferson is so good about it too; when Mathison interrupts one of his games and wants to "play", Jefferson will often simplify or change what he is doing so that his little brother can be included in the fun for a few minutes. I really appreciate Jefferson's efforts to pay attention his baby brother, and I know that Mathison feels special during these times.

Because everything seems to be better when you know you have a friend :)

7 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

What a cute picture! Matheson is so lucky to have an older brother who is so good to him! And I'm sure it helps you out a ton too!

Denise said...

It's so true!

What a good brother! We love Jefferson!

Shawnee and Tyson said...

That is so heartwarming! As corny as that may sound, it really is. What a sweet brother! Mathison is getting so big, I can hardly believe it! I miss you guys!

The Valentine Fam said...

That's great that they have such a special bond. Jefferson is such a a sweetheart, it doesn't surprise me that Mathison would want to be where he is.

Troy said...

I think my relationship with my older siblings was somewhat like Mathison's is. As much as I'm sure I annoyed DEl through the years, he really was a good friend, much like Jefferson is to Mathison. And although I felt a lot of love from my oldest siblings as I was growing up, it's only since I've gotten married and had kids that I really feel that we've grown closer. My point is that I think Mathison will still feel loved by Bronson and Krissia (even though he's quite a bit younger than them), and they will only grow closer as he ages.

The Perkins said...

Love the picture! Siblings are the best, Jefferson is such a good big brother.

McKay Missy and Boys said...

I love it when my boys play together. Jefferson really is a sweet heart to play so well with Mathison.