Friday, March 6, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane


These are my grandparents,Thell and Elaine Gubler. I think it's wonderful that my children have a set of great grandparents still alive!

We visited them on Sunday as part of Bronson's school assignment. He was to interview someone over 75 years old about World War II, and my grandparents fit the bill.

We began the interview with only Bronson and myself in the room; someone had to keep Mathison entertained and quiet in the nearby kitchen because it was being recorded. DEl had that task, and Jefferson and Krissia were with him, steering clear of the "boring school assignment."

When my grandfather began to speak, things changed quickly. As he and my grandmother shared many fascinating memories and insights about their lives during World War II, my other children began to trickle in. The evening ended with everyone clustered around Great Grandpa and Grandma; even Del and I were taking turns with the baby so we could also get in on the conversation.

It was a wonderful hour that ended all too soon. We really enjoyed the sharing of their experiences and wisdom with our family, and hope that these "great" grandparents are around for many more years to come :)

One of my grandmother's ration books from World War II:

4 comments:

Denise said...

What a treat. I feel the same way whenever I get to hear my grandmother tell her stories. Your kids are so lucky!

McKay Missy and Boys said...

You are so good at keeping your blog up to date.

I am more than a little jealous that you live so very close to our grandparents and soon our parents.

How are you? I haven't talked to you for a few weeks.

The Jones Fam said...

I would love to hear stories from them about WWII. I actually interviewed Grandma Barrick my junior year for my history project about WWII. It too was facinating.

Photo Crazy! said...

That is cool. I love to read stories from the old war days. You won't regreat getting that recorded.