Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Why didn't I remember to Knock?

On wood, that is.

My sister Missy's most recent blog had some spectacular pictures of her 4-year-old son's head wound that needed stitches, and what did I say?

"I'm so glad our family has been lucky enough to avoid stiches so far!"

And what happens?

You guessed it - a few days later, Krissia takes a spill down the bleacher stairs at the swim team's party and gouges out a nice chunk of shin. By the time she got home, all the doctor's offices were closed, so we had our Young Women's President (a nurse) come over and look at it. She wasn't sure if it could be stitched together because of some skin missing on one side of the cut and said that they would probably glue or butterfly it together. We didn't feel like paying $150 emergency room co-pay for glue, so I sent Del to Wal-Mart for some butterfly bandaids and we patched her up.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson, but no.

I had to tempt fate again, this time bragging about how this had been a good winter for our family - we had hardly had much sickness. So, guess what - we're just recovering from a visit from the Super Flu Bug at our house. It's not the sniffling, sneezing, aching, Nyquil-can-fix-it variety. Oh, no. This has been the bone grinding, throat searing, head exploding, muscle burning, chills & fever, coughing up your lungs, please-let-me-die sickness. This is my 4th day, and I've only just decided that I might actually recover.

So, the next time I open my big mouth about our good fortune, I am going to have some wood handy.

3 comments:

Denise said...

I'm so sorry Kim! I hope you are all on mend...and stay that way!

McKay Missy and Boys said...

Your background looks so cute! I know I already spoke with you about this, but poor Krissia. It sounds painful.

I hope you are finally feeling better since I talked to you on your birthday. Has the Mathison come down with it yet? (Did I spell his name wrong? I'll have to check.)

The Jones Fam said...

Again, so sorry that you've been sick! I'll cross my fingers that Matheson doesn't get it!