Friday, February 15, 2008

My Valentines


It was late Wednesday night and Del and I found ourselves alone at the kitchen table. He was putting the finishing touches on Jefferson's valentine box for school; I was labeling valentines for Mathison to take to our play group the following morning.

"Do you know the meaning of Valentine's Day?" Del asked.

"Well, I know it's named after St. Valentine," I replied, wondering what romantic turn this conversation was going to take.

"It means a lot of work for the parents!"

Okay, I had to concede that point. I had just finished rolling, cutting out, and baking over 80 sugar cookies for our Primary Activity Day then had spent the remainder of the evening coloring, cutting, gluing and labeling. However - for me - it was a labor of love because in spite of the countless hours of service I spend as a parent, I feel that I am more than compensated in return by the joy my children give me. While I appreciate that there is an official day to celebrate those we love, as a mother I feel I have received special "valentines" on a continual basis ever since our children were born; they just differ a bit from the traditional fare:

Butterfly kisses instead of X's and O's..........

A mud pie baked outside on my backstep instead of fancy chocolates.......

Scribbles and glue on construction paper instead of a designer card.......

A bouquet of wilted dandelions instead of expensive flowers......

A sticky handprint on the wall instead of priceless art.......

Barely edible breakfast in bed instead of gourmet cuisine......

Cuddles, bear hugs and toe tickles instead of passionate embraces......

And instead of an eloquent poem....the sincere "I love you, Mom" that melts my heart every time I hear it!

Call me crazy - but I prefer these everyday "valentines" to the expensive, once-a-year variety.........and I know that I will continue to treasure them for years to come :)






4 comments:

McKay Missy and Boys said...

I have to agree with you. I love the every day displays of love and affection.
Thumbs up for baking so many cookies. It was in my plans but I never got around to it. I have to many of the never get around to its.

Denise said...

That is so sweet Kim. I really love these thoughts!

The Andra Family said...

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like we both spent our day laboring for the ones we love, which I wouldn't have any other way.

The Jones Fam said...

Luckily, my kids are still small enough that Valentines Day doesn't mean too much extra work for me :)