Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Serious Case of TMI



As I posted recently, Mathison has been completely potty trained for a couple of months. For those of you who have tried potty training a child, you know that one way you encourage them to want to use the toilet is by letting him or her watch other family members while they are using the bathroom. You can also spark their interest by talking quite openly about bodily functions, and once they are using the toilet, you frequently ask them if they need to go "pee" or "poo".

Although Mathison's potty training is officially over, it appears that he is still maintaining quite an interest in all things relating to waste elimination.

I have a young piano student I teach on Wednesdays, and he and I began his lesson yesterday with a short discussion of how his family was doing. Mathison had spent an hour at this student's house the night before, and I asked my student how things went.

"Fine, I guess," he answered before quickly mumbling something under his breath.

"What did you say? I missed that last part," I replied.

"Oh, I just said that Mathison said something really gross," my student responded.

I was a little concerned, so I pressed my student for the story. Apparently, Mathison had followed him to the bathroom and REALLY wanted to accompany him inside. When the student said "no", Mathison asked why. The student told him that he was going poo, and that it would be really stinky in there. Mathison told this boy that it was no problem, he'd been in the bathroom before when his mom and dad have gone poo.

Then, Mathison went on to elaborate.

"In fact, last time I saw my mom go poo, she had two really HUGE pieces that filled up the whole toilet!"

My poor student was beet red at this point, and I could tell my cheeks were also pretty rosy. I quickly explained that all little kids are quite interested in these types of things as they are learning to use the toilet, and that Mathison hadn't been potty trained for very long. This answer seemed to satisfy my piano student and we continued with the lesson.

However, he kept glancing sideways at me throughout the lesson, and I know what he was thinking of as he looked at his teacher.

Two really HUGE pieces.

It seems like it's time to relearn some behaviors, before everyone in the neighborhood is informed of my toileting habits!

3 comments:

Photo Crazy! said...

Out of the mouths of babes! LOL

Shawnee and Tys said...

I think I just threw up a little....

Matt, Kim, Barrick and Jakey Boy! said...

Sounds like things haven't changed much over the last 20 years!