Friday, October 5, 2012

A First Time For Everything

Wow - it's been a while since my last post.  Now that I use Facebook, I'll often find myself just putting a quick status update on there and neglecting to add it to my blog.  I'm going to try and find a better balance between the two.

This week, we had a first in our family.  After 22+ years of marriage and four kids (two of them grown), we had our first set of non-surgical stitches.

Or, in this case, staples:


6 of them.

Yep, Mathison banged up his head on Monday.  It happened at school, soon after he got off the kindergarten bus.  There's about a 15 minute time period before school begins, and they let the kids play outside during that time.  Mathison was chasing a girl and took a running jump off of a platform...not realizing there was equipment above him.  Scalp wounds bleed a LOT - and this was a big cut - so he ended up looking like he'd walked straight out of a horror movie.

The worst thing about it was the school couldn't get a hold of me.  I'd been called in to sub at the preschool where I worked last year and had my phone on vibrate.  Imagine my surprise at seeing DEl at the door an hour later and being told he was taking Mathison up to the hospital for stitches!  I rushed out to the car to check on him, trying not to panic at his blood-soaked hair and shirt.  Luckily, it was a slow day at the preschool so I was able to leave and accompany him and DEl to Instacare.  Mathison was very brave during the process, only getting a little upset with the last few staples.

I'm hoping this will help Mathison be a little more cautious in the future; however, this could be an empty wish as I caught him trying to turn somersaults in the living room an hour after coming home from the doctor.  We are supposed to leave the staples in for 10 days, keeping the area dry and protected during this time.

How one is supposed to keep an active five-year-old boy from running around for a week and a half is beyond me...we're just doing the best we can and crossing our fingers!

3 comments:

The Andra Family said...

Curious as to how he reacted???

The Andra Family said...

1

Matt, Kim, Barrick and Jakey Boy! said...

That looks like a pretty good wound. Good luck on keeping Mat "inactive" for 10 days!