Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Couple of Birthdays

In the time between Christmas and now, our family has celebrated a couple of birthdays.

Jefferson's came first, near the end of January:


His birthday was on a Sunday, so we had a small family celebration that day, with a friend party held later in the week.  I'm having such a hard time facing the fact that Jefferson is now 15 years old!!  I know most mothers complain that their children grow up too quickly, but Jefferson was the "baby" of  our family for so long that I tend to think of him as a little kid sometimes.  He has outgrown most of the health problems that plagued him as a child, and is a friendly, active teenager.  Jefferson enjoys most sports, plays the guitar, and is a gifted performer on stage.  He is a member of the JROTC in our school district, and looks so handsome in his uniform :)  Jefferson is also very smart and continues to excel in science.  We are so proud of the wonderful young man he's become!

My birthday was near the beginning of February:

No, that's not poor lighting or photo damage.  It's SMOKE.  You definitely know you're getting old when you nearly set of the smoke detector after blowing out your birthday candles!

I've not been a fan of my birthdays as I've grown older, but my husband worked hard to make it special for me this year.  I actually had a birthday "weekend";  on Friday we went to Mesquite for bowling and a buffet, on Saturday DEl arranged for me to have a massage, and we rounded out the celebration with cake and ice cream on Sunday (my actual birthday).  I had a great weekend and was so thankful to my family for making it special!

2 comments:

Matt, Kim, Barrick and Jakey Boy! said...

Next year you should just get a fire extinguisher to put out all those candles! I can't believe Jefferson is 15! It doesn't seem that long ago we were visiting a sick little boy in the hospital. So glad he is healthy, so talented, and just a wonderful kid...er...young man.

The Jones Fam said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday to me! Made me laugh about the smoke detector though :) My father-in-law always tells me you must have made a deal with the devil because you never seem to age! I hope I am as lucky!