Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Surgery and a Birthday

I know I sound like a broken record when I say I wish there was some way to slow down time!  Seriously, the past few weeks have gone by in the blink of an eye, and the summer is shaping up to have tons of events as well.

One week ago today, our little Mathison had surgery at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City.  Many of you know he was born with clubfeet, and the right foot keeps turning in, stubbornly resisting non-invasive efforts of correction.  It was decided that work needed to be done on three tendons in his foot and leg, including the Achilles tendon.  My heart ached for my son, knowing this would be a very painful procedure.  Thankfully, Mathison has handled it pretty well, only crying a handful of times due to pain.  The doctor told us it would be at least a week and perhaps up to three weeks before he felt like moving around on it.  However, Mathison began putting weight on his foot only three DAYS after surgery and is now walking around comfortably in his cast.  Talk about one tough kid!

Here are a few pictures from surgery day:

Hanging out with Dad and Mom in pre-op:


Showing off his ID tag and hospital jammies:

Riding in his "magic" car.  They let him drive it all the way into the OR!


Sleeping it off after surgery:


Now, on to the birthday.  On Sunday, our sweet daughter turned (gulp) 18.  We celebrated with a small family party:



Can I just say that my kids are growing up WAY too quickly?!!  It saddens me to think that in a week, I will have two children that are graduated and grown :(

I don't want to end on a negative note, so I decided to throw in this shot.  I decided to take a picture of the three older kids as they were having a "moment" on the couch, but just as I pressed the button, Mathison popped up so he could also be in the picture.  I think it's so cute!

4 comments:

McKay Missy and Boys said...

Poor Mathison! Hopefully this will be his final surgery.

I can't believe Kriss is already 18!!! We sure love your kids!

Shawnee and Tys said...

Yeah that last photo is SO cute with Mathison popping up to get his face in the picture too! He looked so cute and sweet in his little hospital jammies! I'm glad he is doing so well. As for Krissia - it honestly blows my mind that she is 18! It seemed like just yesterday I was having sleepovers with her, her waking me up every ten minutes to say... "Aunt Shawnee (with a giggle in her voice), I let a stinker!" Ha ha! I sure love that girl!

The Andra Family said...

All you have to do is look at that last picture to see who rules the roost! We've been thinking of and praying for Mat.

Matt, Kim, Barrick and Jakey Boy! said...

We hope that Mathison is doing great and that this is his last surgery! He is a real trooper. All your kids are. You have some wonderful children!