Thursday, November 20, 2008

Too Soon


Two things have happened in the past week to make me realize how short my time really is as a parent.

First, Del and I had the opportunity to attend SUU's distinguished scholar day with Bronson. This event's purpose is to recognize a few students in the region based on academic achievement while giving them a chance to "check out" the university. It was a fun event, culminating with an awards banquet at the end of the evening. Although we (especially Del) felt like we knew the ins and outs of SUU pretty well, it gave Bronson the chance to socialize with other kids who are great students. It also reinforced the unavoidable fact that I HAVE A CHILD WHO WILL GRADUATE FROM HIGH SCHOOL THIS YEAR. I can't believe we're approaching this point already; where did the time go?

The second event that drove this point home was my baby turning two yesterday. (We're planning to celebrate this weekend and Ill post about it then)

To me, age two signals the end of babyhood, and it is bittersweet to see this chapter closing forever in our lives. The prospect of a diaper-free environment sounds enticing, but there is something about the complete innocence and vulnerability of a baby that brings a special joy to the home. I'm going to miss that.

I remember getting warned when my two oldest children were quite little to "enjoy it now" because they'd grow up before I knew it. Well, folks - it's true. So to all of you young mothers reading this, I suggest you heed that timely advice because you'll be there before you know it.....just like I am.

3 comments:

The Perkins said...

I can't imagine how you feel, because I can not believe Mathison is already 2!

Florida4x4chick said...

Thanks for the advice Del, it really is advice everyone gives you but very few listen to the advice. So many of my friends are always saying, "i can't wait till he/she does... whatver" and i just tell them, slow down because it goes fast enough as it is. Heck i can't believe my baby boy is approaching 2 and my little girl is pulling her self up everywhere! It is a special time and i try to capture every moment on film. :)

Photo Crazy! said...

Dido on the turning 2!