Wednesday, July 23, 2008

You Gotta Love It

I had one of "those" experiences this evening; you know, the kind that seems terrible as it's happening but funny once it's over.

I've needed to go shopping for a few days. I hate to grocery shop and had put it off as long as possible, but I finally decided to bite the bullet. I loaded Mathison in the van and drove to Wal-Mart, picking Krissia up from a friend's house on the way. Mathison started fussing about this time, but the sun was in his eyes so I attributed his crying to that.

As we entered Wal-Mart, everything seemed great. I loaded Mathison into the shopping cart and headed for the milk. A few aisles later, he seemed really fussy again and wouldn't settle down. I stopped in the middle of the meat section, reached down, and lifted him out of the cart....and then it happened. He threw up ALL over me. And himself. And the floor....it just kept coming! I sent Krissia to find an employee while I headed to the restrooms with Mathison. Of course, I was nowhere near a bathroom; I had to walk through several aisles and past the crowded checkout stands with puke plastered all over me and my child. Once in the bathroom, I ended up stripping Mathison down to his diaper and tried to salvage what I could with my shirt,but Mathison had been very thorough. At this point, Krissia entered the bathroom and asked what we should do. I told her to take the grocery cart to the customer service desk and ask them if we could leave it there while we went home to clean up. I handed Mathison to Krissia, then held my purse in front of me to help hide my stained shirt from other shoppers as we walked out. Unfortunately, I couldn't hide the smell; I got more than a few odd looks as we hurried out to the van!

A half hour later, I gathered my cart from Customer Service and continued my shopping with clean clothes - and without Mathison, who was at home getting bathed by Krissia. As I passed the meat aisle, I noticed that the evidence of our misadventure had been mopped up. I guess this was the trade off for my public humiliation; someone else got to clean up the floor.

Ah, the joy of parenthood....you just gotta love it!

2 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

That will be a good story to tell him once he gets older :) I hope he feels better now! I remember the first time Jaylee threw up on me (not spit-up, but real vomit) I thought it was the most digusting thing ever. It sounds like you handled it very well!

The Andra Family said...

Sounds like one of those experiences where you feel hopeless and think, "Where do I start?"
The hard thing about them is you can never predict or expect when they'll occur.