Sunday, July 13, 2008

Armpits and Acne

Earlier this week, Jefferson noticed he had several small, red bumps on his face. He asked me what I thought they were and I replied that they looked like mosquito bites to me. This seemed to be the most likely explanation, especially since he'd spent a night camping outside on my parents' lawn during the Gubler reunion.

However when the bumps hadn't faded by the next morning, Jefferson was convinced they were pimples. He excitedly examined his face rather closely in the mirror several times that day, checking for any changes or the eruption of a new bump. After his evening bath, I caught Jefferson looking in the mirror yet again - this time, examining his armpits. He was sure he was growing armpit hair!

Holding back my laughter, I told him that I couldn't see any hair and that the bumps on his face were nearly gone and were definitely not acne. Jefferson seemed to shake off the brief excitement at the prospect of puberty; he shrugged his shoulders and casually replied, "Well, if it was acne, we'd need to start buying Proactiv." He paused for a minute before adding, "Refining mask." Those infomercials certainly do their job well!

As my son skipped back into his regular routine, I realized that our carefree childhood days with Jefferson are numbered. What he perceives as the glamours of growing up - greasy face, sweaty pits, and raging hormones - are going to be thrust upon us before we know it. Time marches on, and when the inevitable does happen - which it surely will - thank heaven for deodorant and Proactiv!

4 comments:

The Jones Fam said...

Oh the days of puberty. I'm sure when his voice starts cracking and he gets pimples he can't control, he may be singing a different tune.

Nathan, Mariann &Talon said...

That is so funny. I can remember when i hit puberty I cried. :) Hey I have a new blog nathanmariannandtalon.blogspot.com

The Perkins said...

I needed a good laugh...Jefferson is such a character! It's funny how you want what you don't have, then you get it and you no longer want it:).

Seth and Emry Gubler said...

That is too funny! They're growing up so fast! Hey, if you want our updated blog, you'll need to edit the address in your friends list- we don't have any w's in it. It should look like this http://sethandemry.blogspot.com otherwise you'll se July's background for months.