Monday, December 31, 2007

A Scary Moment


As I mentioned in my last post, we spent one week in Hurricane at my in-law's during the holidays. They haven't had a baby around for quite a while so their house is not exactly baby-proof. Upon our arrival, I gathered the older kids and told them that everyone would have to be extra diligent in watching Mathison in order to keep him safe. Everyone did a great job throughout the week, but by the last night I think we'd all grown a little lax because we'd managed to avoid any major incidences. We were busy packing up, and I'd asked Grandma to watch Mathison. They were busy playing together when Krissia came upstairs and offered to take him. After a while, Krissia got distracted, Jefferson left the door to the basement open, and suddenly Mathison was taking a tumble down 16 cement stairs only covered by a thin layer of carpet. My heart nearly stopped when I heard Krissia scream and the thunk-thunk of my baby on the stairs. Luckily, Krissia caught sight of Mathison as he was just beginning to fall and her quick reflexes allowed her to vault over his rolling body and catch him before he hit the bottom. Mathison was screaming his head off, Del started yelling at the kids for not watching him closely, Jefferson and Grandma were both crying because they felt guilty about what happened, and I was crying from relief that Mathison wasn't seriously hurt. It was quite the circus. Luckily, Mathison escaped with only a few bruises; it scared and upset him more than anything. Isn't it great that kids are so tough and resilient!

4 comments:

The Andra Family said...

Doesn't it seem like you always hear about the bad things that could happen, but luckily when it happens in your family it's minimal? So glad he's ok. You posted a cute pic of him. Miss U guys already!

The Jones Fam said...

This is scary! I think my heart would stop! It's a good thing Krissia was there and is so agile! I'm glad everyone is ok! Call me when you guys come to Vegas!

The Valentine Fam said...

I'm glad everything turned out okay. You got to love those heart stopping moments!

I'm excited you guys have a blog and we can keep up-to-date on things. We'll have to get together in the near future.

Katie

McKay Missy and Boys said...

First of all he looks adorable in this picture. I can only imagine what it would be like to watch your baby tumble down that many stairs and be entirely helpless. I'm so glad that there was no serious injury.